Laura “Limppu” Witick
When Finns see my business card for the first time they usually start laughing. That’s because Limppu literally means “a loaf of bread”. My father invented that nickname for me when I was just born, though he has already forgotten why he started to call me that in the first place.
I graduated as a Master of Theology in 2016, and after that I started to paint and draw for a living. I mostly do commissions: customers send me photos that I will draw. From 2015 till 2017 I also created my first art exhibition called “Mercy!”. Mercy! was about the relationship between God and animals in Christianity.
I think that taking animal rights into account is very important, so I only use vegan materials and tools when creating art. With a part of my earnings I’ve supported several charities.
- Born in 1991, Kokkola, Finland
- Some art courses in Adult Education Centre of Joensuu
- Fine Arts Diploma of Upper secondary school 2010 (grade: 5/5)
- Visual arts oriented upper secondary school 2007–2010
- Kokkola Art School for Children and Young People 1998–2006
- Master of Theology 2016 – University of Eastern Finland
- Bachelor of Theology 2014 – University of Eastern Finland
- Finnish Matriculation Examination 2010 – Lyseonpuiston lukio (Upper secondary school)
- In English
- Planet Manel: ”ART – Limppu by Laura Witick” (Planet Manel 7.11.2016)
- In Finnish
- 3 kysymystä taiteilijalle (Kotimaa 48/2017)
- Taide puhuu eläinten puolesta (Animalia 3/2017)
- Taiteilua ennakkoluulojen ristitulessa (Karjalan Heili 4.2.2017)
- Mielessä x5 – Eläinten asialla s. 3. (Kirkkotie 17.1.2016)
- Kevytyrittäjyys lisääntyy nopeasti – lainsäädäntö laahaa perässä ( Karjalainen 18.12.2015)
- Kuvataiteilija Limppu Witick – Viikon kevytyrittäjä (Ukko.fi 22.6.2015)
- YleX:n juontajat ikuistettiin upeaan muotokuvaan (Ylex.fi 8.5.2013)